Welcome! By practicing Bikram Yoga, you’ve taken an important step to improve your health and well-being. Take a moment to review the information below to know what to expect from your first class. We look forward to seeing you in our studio!
- Bikram Yoga is suited for all ages and levels of ability – first time students and experienced practitioners alike.
- Each class consists of 26 postures and two breathing exercises performed in a specific order to systematically work every single part of your body.
- Every class is 90 minutes long. Plan to stay for the entire class.
- Each posture stretches specific muscles, ligaments and joints used for the next pose.The same postures are done in the same order with the same instruction every time. You start to get the hang of it after just a couple of classes.
- It’s going to be hot! The room is heated by intention to allow your body to stretch safely. The heat also helps the body sweat, which is such a great way to detoxify the skin – the largest organ in the body.
- Come to class well hydrated (i.e. drink plenty of water throughout the day before arriving to the studio for class). This will help you manage the heat better.
- Rest when you need to. Sit down when you need to. Always take care of yourself. It’s normal to feel uncomfortable, dizzy, or even a little nauseous especially in your first class. This is different for everyone and will pass quickly.
- The front door to the studio is locked once class begins so please arrive before class starts.
What You’ll Need:
- A yoga mat, large towel to place over your mat, and a bottle of water. If you do not own these items, they can be purchased or rented from the studio.
- Come to class with an empty stomach. If possible, avoid eating two hours prior to class. This general guideline varies from person to person and you’ll discover what works best for YOU once you begin practicing yoga.
- Arrive 15-20 minutes prior to your first class to allow time to register, ask questions, and set up.
- Wear lightweight, non-baggy clothing.
- Students under 18 must have their registration card signed by a parent or guardian.
- Students under 13 must be accompanied by an adult in class.
- It’s perfectly normal if you can’t “get” everything the first day, Bikram Yoga is a lifetime practice.
- The instructors are here to help and encourage you.
- All you need to do is try the right way and you will get 100% of the benefits of the postures, even if you can’t do everything!
- Everyone experiences a first class once. No one is there to judge you, only to encourage and support you!Take your second class within 24 hours of your first!
"Give me 30 days, I'll change your body. Give me 60 days , I'll change your life" - Bikram Choudhury